Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pregnant with antici........

pation!

We decided to start trying to get pregnant in September, after we'd thrown our Last Great Party and life had settled down for work and grad school. Intellectually, I knew there was only a 24% chance of conceiving each month, AND I'd only been sans IUD since July 28, but I was still hopeful that we'd conceive sooner rather than later.

Be careful what you wish for, because you might get it. "It", in this case, is rampant fatigue, nausea. At first, I chalked it up to the stress of adjusting to grad school-- not just intensive study, but it's all online so I'm never really not at school. Classes started on September 29, and I didn't pay much attention to how I was feeling for a couple weeks.

Then I started doing the math and realized that it was the week my period was due. I managed to hold off on testing immediately and decided to wait until it was October 13 (one calendar month after the first day of my last period), and then I couldn't wait any longer. I'd stopped at Barnes and Noble and picked up a book on slow-cooker cooking and on a whim, What To Expect When You're Expecting.

My hunch was correct-- we tested that Friday night (twice!) and got two positives. Because I have a physical inability to keep my mouth shut on secrets, I told Audrea and Hannah, we told our parents, and then I had to tell the girls next door because they'd invited us over for wine. Josh wanted to keep it somewhat quiet until I'd gotten it confirmed by a doctor, so on the following Monday morning, I went in and tested at the doctor's office and confirmed that yes, I am pregnant.

Our first actual pre-natal appointment will be November 24. We're going to be using the midwifery clinic at the nearby hospital, and I'm excited to go. Once everything is confirmed as okay and working correctly, we'll make the news more public (aka Facebook official).

Meanwhile, I'm eating every Babybel cheese that crosses my path, nauseated by the idea of pizza, and ready for a nap at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment